Before you know it

August 10, 2011

The season will be back in full swing for crawfish production. Many are out harvesting rice and making decisions about the upcoming season. One hopes that this season will go well and the season will not have many bumps along the road. Of course everyone’s situation is different. However, I think we can all agree that this Summer has proven to be a very dry one and there is some concern that if this continues that planning to flood in October or November will be decided on the weather. We will have to wait and see what happens to address those concerns right now. It is good that those producers who are wanting to flood early are considering doing so, but it has to be economically feasible when the time comes to make that decision. A lot can change in  two months, so I urge those of you with concerns to just wait and we can cross that bridge when the time comes. I will remain optimistic yet cautious until that time comes. I want to thank those of you who have called and asked me to address the drought situation, but I don’t think the crawfish industry has need for heavy concern at this time.

Richard